[Kde-hardware-devel] QtNetworkManager (aka libnm-qt) pending issues

Jan Grulich jgrulich at redhat.com
Sun Mar 24 22:39:44 UTC 2013

Hi,

thanks for the first round of review. I've made some changes, see below:

On 03/24/2013 08:04 PM, Lamarque V. Souza wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Jan Grulich is working on implementing settings support in
> QtNetworkManager [1]. His code is in the settings branch and he asked
> me to take a look at the code. I am sending this e-mail to everybody
> because some of the issues spotted below can be usefull for the other
> people working on Plasma NM/QtNetworkManager/QtModemManager. Here are
> my findings/comments:
>
> . Do not to initialize QString class members with QString(), this
> saves a QString() contructor call. Also, if you ever need to empty a
> QString use
>
> QString::clear() instead of assigning QString() to it for the same reason.

FIXED

> . NetworkManager::Device::availableConnections() allocate new objects
> without parent and without warning the user of that method that they
> should deallocate the memory used. Preferrably you should use a cache
> mechanism like the one used by NetworkManager::networkInterfaces() to
> prevent this memory leak.

SOLVED - It's not necessary to create new connections

> . Use qobject_cast instead of dynamic_cast with QObjects.

There is no dynamic_cast, only static_cast like in Plasma NM. It's not
possible to use qobject_cast since these classes are not derived from
QObject.

> . In examples/createconnection/main.cpp you can use 'result.ToLower()
> == "yes"' instead of those three comparisons with "yes", "YES" and
> "Yes". You could also add more comments describing in details what the
> examples do. I also see that you use
> Settings::WirelessSetting::setSsid(ssid.toAscii()) there. Is the
> 'toAscii()' part required for this to work perperly? If so then that
> should be added to the setSsid() API doc (in
> settings/802-11-wireless.h). By the way, all class methods in settings
> directory lack API doc comments, I know, that is not your fault since
> you copied the classes from Plasma NM. Yet that is one thing we need
> to fix before the first release.

I'm using "toAscii()" only when I need to convert QString to QByteArray.
It's because from NetworkManager::AccessPoint you get ssid in QString
and in NetworkManager::Settings::WirelessSetting::setSsid() you have to
pass QByteArray. I know that documentation is missing, but I think it's
not so important for now. By the way, I didn't copy these classes from
Plasma NM.

> . in NetworkManager::Settings::WirelessSecuritySetting::fromMap() I
> think you should add a 'else { nmDebug() << "Unhandled item comment";
> }' for each of the if's in there. That would help us detect when
> NetworkManager adds new possible values in their API.

That's a good idea, I think we should add it also into other classes,
not only into WirelessSecuritySetting. I'll implement it later, I think
it's not a blocker for this merge.

> . also in NetworkManager::Settings::WirelessSecuritySetting::fromMap()
> you insert some QStringList without checking if they are not empty.
> Usually NetworkManager refuses settings with empty values, which is
> the case here. You can add some Q_ASSERT() to check for that. This way
> the check will only be add to the final binary if Qt is compiled with
> debug enabled.

I think that this problem cannot happen, if you mean QStringLists that
are created where I put proto, pairwise and group values. I'm checking
whether these values are empty, if not then there cannot be empty
QStringList because it's filled with these values.

> . Code style:
>
> - use 'foo &bar' instead of 'foo& bar' or 'foo & bar'.
>
> - do not add empty lines without any purpose.
>
> - start comments with capital case and with a period in the end. Also
> add one space between // and the start of the comment.
>
> - you can use astyle command to do most of those changes. See
>
> https://techbase.kde.org/Policies/Kdelibs_Coding_Style

Fixed almost with astyle

> . Commit messages should be "git-formatted": one short summary in the
> first line, followed by an empty line, and then a longer explanation
> of why the    commit has been made and what it does. Yes, I know, I
> also need starting doing that myself.
>
> . you should also run krazy2 to detect any other possible issueѕ I
> have not spotted:
> http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Code_Checking. Some of
> the issued reported by krazy2 are KDE specific and does not apply to
> libnm-qt, which is Qt only library.

DONE

> [1]
> http://lamarque-lvs.blogspot.com.br/2013/03/what-is-happening-in-qtnetworkmanager.html
>
> --
>
> Lamarque V. Souza
>
> KDE's Network Management maintainer
>
> http://planetkde.org/pt-br

Important issues should be fixed. Could you please do another round of
review? :)

--
Jan Grulich
Red Hat Czech, s.r.o