[Kde-hardware-devel] What's our UPnP story?

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Fri Dec 27 18:14:11 UTC 2013

from our experience with a GSoC project trying to bring DLNA support to
digikam, with a focus on provding a content server:
- there are some low-level libraries implementing the basic communication
structure of UPnP
- this is by far not sufficient to have a working implementation for anything,
you need not only send XML, you need to create the XML content before
- herqq seemed in our triage the only real option (C++, extensible, clean
code) for our special purposes, and it aims at implementing the higher-level
parts of the protocol as well
- it is effectively unmaintained. The developer responded to mail, but no
development or bug fixes.
Weird things happen like supporting some devices, but no Sony devices.
- an open source project which produces a working and maintained UPnP software
product is minidlna, but it is not a library.
=>a good UPnP support will come not for free, but by going to the depths of
improving the backend library

Marcel