[Kde-hardware-devel] Review Request 109792: Update 'dim display' algorithm.

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 20:04:18 UTC 2013

My 3¢

(I assume this is about the "dim after n minutes" feature, i only remotely tracked the thread)

The config UI says "dim" not "alter brightness", so the behavior should simply be to lower the brightness to n% of the present value ("n" being little enough to spot the difference but not enough to turn it off) - and never brighten up.

If one wants to reach a certain brightness (because the weather alters between sun and clouds like every 5 minutes or you move indoors etc.), one should use a slider plasmoid or whatever - the "dim" feature is certainly not meant for such case (personally i use i as "time to judder the mouse" hint ;-)

=>
- using a static value for dimming (even precompiled from the brightnes base config) is wrong. It's even wronger when it can turn off the screen (since neither is what the GUI suggests)

- demanding the ability to set a specific ratio or value is also wrong, since that does really not seem the idea of the feature.

=>
as loong as a fix can ensure that the screen "significantly" darkens but does not turn off, i don't think any more config key is required.

If this can *not* be guaranteed because HW vendors use any kind of unpredictable shit values for the brightness range (like "-100 being least and -1 being max") the dimming factor needs to be configurable and that needs to be exposed to the GUI ("fix ya hw") - otherwise it's pointless, resp. hinting that the problem does not exist in reality.
The GUI could then come with a checkbox and be disabled by default.

Cheers,
Thomas

Sorry for TP, it's not directly related to Danny's particular mail.