[Kde-hardware-devel] GSoC idea: Better touchpad support (I'm student)

Alexander Mezin mezin.alexander at gmail.com
Mon Apr 1 10:13:46 UTC 2013

Hello.

I usually installed synaptiks to be able to configure touchpad and
enable/disable it.

However, now synaptiks is unmaintained and doesn't work for me anymore (for
example, it isn't able to automatically disable touchpad when external
mouse is plugged in because of changes in udev bingings).
Also, it's written in Python, so it needs python bindings.

I think it's better to implement:
KControl module (C++)
Service that disables/enables touchpad (C++)
Plasmoid that shows current state of the touchpad and allows to manually
enable/disable it (QtQuick)

Some time ago I built a Python script that automatically disabled touchpad
when mouse is plugged in. But it wasn't too easy to replace broken part of
synaptiks with my script, so I think it's better to solve all problems at
once.

Does this idea look interesting to someone?