[Kde-hardware-devel] Meaningful names in Device::description

Alex Fiestas afiestas at kde.org
Wed Oct 3 11:19:42 UTC 2012

Last weekend I patched up 3 pieces of software adding the following logic:

On pluggable/removeable devices, use Device::Product, if not use Description.

The idea is to show the product name for things like cd-drivers or pendrives.

In reviewboard Kevin pointed out that would be better to add this logic into
UDev/UDisk backend, he said that HAl had something like that.

Looking at the code, both backends share pretty much the same code to get
meaningful content, links:

http://goo.gl/V403j
http://goo.gl/NblUl

And it doesn't seem that neither of them is showing product() for the usecase
mentioned before.

We need to find a short-term solution applicable to 4.9.3 and 4.10.

Personally, I have mixed feelings on patching description, since description
should be "more than one word" indicating some specifications from the device
instead of the product name.

In the future, we can add Device::friendlyName or something like that, but
that's libsolid2 material.

So, what do we do? do we patch description or we patch the software using us?

Cheers!