[Kde-hardware-devel] Fingerprintreader KDE/fedora

Leena listen at leena.de
Thu Jun 14 09:58:47 UTC 2012

Hi,

I am a graduated netphilosopher and free-software-activist from germany
and gladly using KDE.

For starters: thanks for all your good work. I really enjoiy it.

A KDE person recomended to write to this list about my
question/bugreport. Here it comes:

I use a lenovo X61 Thinkpad with fedora and KDE and there I have a
fingerprintreader which is very handy.
Nevertheless I chose to deactivate the function for the timebeing
because of a bug.
It should work this way: You can either type in the password or use your
fingerprint for identification.
Sadly this way it only works in the shell. Everywhere else the
fingerprint is needed even if you type in the password. Therefore the
password becomes useless, because only swiping the finger is sufficient.
On the other hand, having only the password is not enough and still
needs a swipe.

I deactivated the funktion for two resons:
1. In case of an emergency I need the possibility to tell my friend the
password so that he/she can access my computer without me being
physically there.
2. If the swipe does not work for some reason (wounded finger, bug, or
whatever) I am totally locked out of my computer. And I don't want to
risk that.

It's as simple as this: Swipe and passwort should be alternative, but
they arent.

Do you know about this bug already? Are you planning to fix it? (The
Gnome-Users are starting to make fun of me, because Gnome seems to have
no problem in this way.) Did you understand my description? I'm not very
used in writing bugreports in english.
If you have any questions, please ask.

Thanks for your help and greetings, Leena

PS: check out our project to unite all the free software social
networking projects: socialswarm.net
----
www.leena.de
@reticuleena