[Kde-hardware-devel] Phone sub-system abstraction

Emmanuel Lepage emmanuel.lepage at savoirfairelinux.com
Wed Jun 13 20:20:47 UTC 2012

Hi,

I am working full time on a project called SFLPhone KDE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTnPd-gRzWY) for Savoir-Faire Linux in Montreal, french Canada. We are doing a commercial grade softphone (GPLv3, LGPLv2). I am mostly done for now, so I have a lot of time to work on integrating phone into KDE. As of today, there is:
-A basic (Microsoft) Skype and generic command line phone support in KDE pim
-A non-KDE QML application coming with Mer
-SFLPhone KDE as a separate application
...-A data engine part of SFLPhone KDE
...-Both a QWidget and a QML plasmoids
...-A Qt and KDE library to access the SFLPhone daemon (over dbus)

I was wondering how to improve this situation and make phone an integral part of KDE instead of snippets of support everywhere. What kind of abstraction would best suit this kind of support? A solid backend? I am -not- trying to make SFLPhone a KDE dependency, I am looking to make some kind of phone system abstraction so I can work to integrate some phone features deeper into KDE, like:
-Being able to click on a phone number anywhere to call (like Android Linkify)
-Improve Plasma (Active, Mobile) on phone
-Better Akonadi/Nepomuk acess to phone history and data
-Drop SFLPhone daemon dependency and merge SFLPhone KDE gui in KDE (SC) to use any available backend so KDE have a Good, unified QWidget, Active and Plasma frontend for Phone call.

As more and more use case that used to be done on a computer are moving to phones, I think this project could be useful for KDE. A good phone system abstraction have to support:
-calls
-conferences
-multiple accounts
-multiple protocols
-external configuration dialogs for implementation/backend dependent options (security, codecs, advanced SIP/IAX/GSM/CDMA options)
-video
-call history
-akonadi contact matching

But before talking about implementation, I would like to have other KDE contributor opinion on how to best integrate this into KDE?

Thanks for thinking about it