[Kde-hardware-devel] Identifying iPod and iPhone-like devices using Solid (was: Amarok review request)

Christophe Fergeau cfergeau at redhat.com
Fri Oct 28 10:13:49 UTC 2011

Hey,

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 02:13:26AM +0200, Tom Gundersen wrote:
> It looks like libgpod should indeed give us a very nice way to
> identify the device. It will export the relevant information (device,
> custom name of device, icon, etc) as udev attributes. It turns out
> that this does not work correctly with the device I have (iPhone 3)
> and it was not obvious to me what the problem was, so I stopped here.
>
> I think the correct solution would be to fix libgpod, and use the
> information exported (which should be much more accurate and detailed
> than what m-p-i contains) through libudev.

Would be interesting to fix that indeed...
The libgpod udev callout should set
UDISKS_PRESENTATION_ICON_NAME and UDISKS_PRESENTATION_NAME
for these devices.
Maybe this was fixed by

commit 5025c1038f81abbc5a1b783690798fc66be33810
Author: Christophe Fergeau <cfergeau at redhat.com>
Date:   Sun Jul 17 09:27:14 2011 +0200

    fix (again) creation of non-existing Device dirs

    Recent iPods (Shuffle, iOS devices, ...) don't have a Device/
    subdirectory in their control dir, so we need to create it
    ourselves before trying to write a SysInfoExtended file to it.
    However, due to a "typo", we were creating
    iPod_Control/iTunes/Device/ instead of iPod_Control/Device. This
    commit fixes this, even though in the long run we should stop
    using the iphone-set-info callout for iOS devices and read the
    needed information directly from the device.

Christophe