[Kde-hardware-devel] Re: Working together on NM09 support and cleaning Solid::Control

Lamarque Vieira Souza lamarque at gmail.com
Wed May 18 16:53:35 CEST 2011

Em Wednesday 18 May 2011, Will Stephenson escreveu:
> (CCing Lamarque and Lukas as it's important that they see this,
> hardware-devel for info)
>
> I read Lamarque's blog [1] about adding NM09 support.  For the last 2 weeks
> I've been working on NM09 support too [2].  Unfortunately I didn't announce
> this URL because I wanted to have something to show other than words.
>
> My work consists of
>
> 1. workspace/solid/networkmanager-0.7 branched as a personal clone
> 1.1 renamed to libnm-qt
> 1.2 made a standalone lib instead of a backend for Solid::Control
> 2. Ported to NM 0.9 DBUS API and removed compatibility code
> 3. Merged in e/b/networkmanagement/solidcontrolfuture classes
> 4. Rename most classes to match NM naming
>
> and
>
> 5. Start of porting e/b/networkmanagement to libnm-qt (not yet pushed).
>
> The reason for 1.* is to allow us to flatten and remove Solid::Control from
> workspace/libs as agreed at the Solid meeting last October.
>
> This is equivalent to steps 1 through 3 of Lamarque's work.
>
> It's regrettable that we both started working on the same feature at the
> same time without telling each other so I'd like us to agree on a common
> way to proceed before investing any more development time in this.
>
> My proposal:
> 1. Branch master as the pre09 branch and copy libs/solid/control and
> backend into it.
> 1.1 Tell downstreams not shipping NM09 to use this
> 2. Remove Solid::Control from workspace
> 3. Merge Lamarque's work into libnm-qt
> 4. Port networkmanagement to libnm-qt
> 5. Remove redundant abstractions
> 6. Remove last kde-isms and push a Qt-only libnm-qt to NM git
>
> This will give us a clean codebase and end the problem that workspace is
> tied to particular NM releases.
>
> What do you think?

	I do not think that can be done by KDE SC 4.7.0 without a lot of effort
and as I said I am busy. I have spent more time than I should have in Plasma
NM, some things in my life had been postponed to make that happen.

	#1 should be based in nm09 instead of master in my oppinion. In the
future we will need to branch master to nm08 and move the NM-0.9 code to
master, but not now.

	PS: I was aware of your work on libqt-nm since last year, but I have not
seen any news about it since than. I sent an e-mail
(http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-networkmanager/2011-March/000676.html) with
copy to you asking about it. Since I did not get an answer and everybody was
complaining about NM-0.9 support I stepped up to make things happen. Sorry for
making Solid::Control inflate but I thought that could be done quickly since
it is an API I and most people commiting to networkmanagement already know.

--
Lamarque V. Souza
http://www.geographicguide.com/brazil.htm