[Kde-hardware-devel] Re: Power Managemenet system-wide

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Tue Jun 14 00:56:25 CEST 2011

Hi Alex,

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 12:10 AM, Alex Fiestas <afiestas at kde.org> wrote:
> This morning my laptop ran out of battery because didn't loggin (I was in
> KDM), my first thought was to blame KDM for not caring about Power Management,
> but after some discussing on kde-core-devel is true that the DM is not the
> best place to handle these stuff...
>
> That makes me wonder, why PM is currently within the user session? this sounds
> broken in many ways...
>
> 1-If two users are logged at the same time, they will fight to see what is the
> winner policy
> 2-You need to load KDE/GNOME/Whatever to have it
> 3-We're mostly duplicating code between GNOME/KDE/Others since'were all
> implementing basically the same stuff within the session.
>
> Maybe I'm only saying bullshit as I'm sure that somebody else wondered the
> same thing... but I couldn't find any discussion about the topic :/

I completely agree. I tried replying to your email to k-d-c, but it
was stuck in a moderation queue I think, so sorry if you get this
twice:

"As to power management: I never quite understood why the power
management policy daemons are implemented inside the DE's. Shouldn't
this be a system-wide daemon, that could be controlled from the DE's
(similarly to what Network Manager is for networking)? This would give
reasonable power management also when logged in from the console, or
as your example illustrates, not logged in at all (at the console or
in the DM)."

I thin it still makes sense to have per-user policies that might
override the system policy (just like NM) and I guess your case 1)
above should be dealt with using consolekit/systemd, so the current
"active" user's policy wins.

Is there any reason PowerDevil is not implemented as a system daemon
(or maybe it is, I haven't looked at the code yet)?

Cheers,

Tom