[Kde-hardware-devel] Fwd: Re: Re: 4.7 Release is coming, are we ready?

Alex Fiestas afiestas at kde.org
Sun Jun 12 16:08:11 CEST 2011

Something wierd happend while moderating the email, so just in case I'm
forwarding it.

Subject: Re: [Kde-hardware-devel] Re: 4.7 Release is coming, are we ready?
Date: Sunday, June 12, 2011, 03:50:54 PM
From: Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no>
To: kde-hardware-devel at kde.org

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 1:39 PM, Alex Fiestas <afiestas at kde.org> wrote:
> On Sunday, June 12, 2011 11:43:04 AM Rajeesh K Nambiar wrote:
>> I have an iDevice, and would be happy to help. Yesterday I've built
>> and tested kio_afc (https://github.com/JonathanBeck/kio_afc) and works
>> perfectly. It would be very nice if this gets integrated. I've looked
>> around kde-runtime and kde-workspace code to do so, but couldn't
>> figure out much yet :-)

Sounds very nice!

> Tom Gundersen is also looking to improve the situation, maybe you can work
> together on this?

For what it's worth, what I have been looking at is adding support for
media-player-info to the udev backend.

This should allow us to report what protocols a given device supports
("storage", "ipod" and "karma", in addition to the already supported
"mtp"), this is what is needed to make Amarok's ipodcollection work
again. We will also get nice names and icons for the various devices
(screenshot with current code attached, the plural device name is a
bug in media-player-info).

I think everything works nicely (it was a very minimal amount of code
needed), except for one thing:

I'm using QSettings to parse media-player-info's ini-style config
files to get the required information. However, I cannot seem to make
it read past the first semicolon in a key, this means that when the
supported protocols are listed as "storage;ipod", QSettings only gives
me "storage". If anyone knows why this might be, and how to work
around it, I'd be very happy ;-)

Cheers,

Tom