[Kde-hardware-devel] Re: [KDE Usability] Re: Display Management Design

todd rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 11:33:22 CEST 2011

2011/7/26 Lukas <1lukas1 at gmail.com>:
> Instead of changing monitors/settings and trying to adapt them to current
> needs, have "Display activities".

The plasma "activities" concept and the display "activities" concept
seem too different, I think using the same name for both would be
extremely confusing.

> It means having "Presentation mode" instead of clone. Having "Work mode"
> with display extended on the right. Having "Laptop mode" with just one
> display" etc.

I personally don't like this naming scheme.  Most presentation
programs these days, including both LibreOffice Impress, kpresenter,
and Calligra Stage, have presentation modes, where they display the
slides on one screen and information for the speaker (like the next
slide, notes, a timer, etc) on the other screen.  So in my opinion
having side-by-side displays would be a better "presentation mode"
than clone.  It is also substantially different naming than what
people are used to.

> The activities could be tied/pinned to different modes. E.g. you work with 2
> monitors with both full of plasmoids. 10 mins later you go to give a
> presentation with again 2 mointors (1 projector, 1 for showing presentation
> slides). The last thing you what is to get your work stuff flash in front of
> the entire audience while you search for empty activity. Definitely not
> solid :)

Being able to set plasma to automatically switch to a particular
activity when you connect a particular display or switch to a
particular mode would be helpful.  I don't think this should be
forced, however, and personally I would rather it NOT do this for my
own use.

Another thing that would be useful is automatically setting the
primary display.  For instance the projector should, by default,
automatically be set the secondary display.

Further, plasma should automatically keep your widgets on the internal
screen.  Currently it depends on the screen orientation, so I have to
play around with the screen layout to get my widgets on my internal
screen.

-Todd