[Kde-hardware-devel] Qt bindings to ModemManager and Networkmanager

Lamarque V. Souza lamarque at kde.org
Sun Dec 4 14:38:00 UTC 2011

	Hi Dan Williams,

	As we discussed during last Desktop Summit we from KDE/Solid are
developing Qt bindings to MM and NM, they are almost ready:

https://projects.kde.org/projects/kdereview/libmm-qt
https://projects.kde.org/projects/kdereview/libnm-qt

	There are some features missing compared to libnm-glib and some things
not tested (wimax, lte). For the most common connection types (wired, wifi,
gsm, bluetooth, vpn) the libraries work fine.

	I asked in kde-core-devel mailing list to move the libraries to
kdereview for other KDE developers review the source code. One issue that has
come up is the libraries names (libmm-qt.so.0.5.0 and libnm-qt-0.9.0). libmm-
qt is very similar to libmm, which has nothing to do with ModemManager.

	The final goal is to move libmm-qt and libnm-qt to ModemManager and
NetworkManager's repositories (like we suggested during Desktop Summit). I
want to know if there is any problem if I rename the libraries
libQtModemManager.so.0.5.0 and libQtNetworkManager.so.0.9.0.

	I also would like to know how to proceed to move the bindings to MM and
NM's repositories. I would like to have write access to the repositories to
fix eventual problems.

--
Lamarque V. Souza
KDE's Network Management maintainer