[Kde-hardware-devel] Re: Proposed addition to Solid::Processor

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Sat Apr 30 13:36:04 CEST 2011

On Wednesday 20 April 2011 23:07:39 David Hubner wrote:
> I am looking to create a patch that would add a new public member to
> show if a processor was 32bit or 64bit. It should be easy to add to the
> udev backend, the hal backend would need some assembler[1]. I would
> thinking calling the public member bool longMode();

Maybe an alternative would be extending the InstructionSets flag? This long
mode has an impact on the instruction set or I'm mistaken?

> The use case is mainly informational, see bug 271017. I can see other
> use cases for it though.

Which other use cases?

> Is this something that would be OK to create a patch for and submit to the
> solid reviewboard?

Depends on the use cases really. If KInfoCenter is the only consumer of that
it makes it less likely to make it to the API.

Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net