[Kde-hardware-devel] e-Sata and solid.

Lamarque Vieira Souza lamarque at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 05:44:41 CEST 2010

Em Tuesday 21 September 2010, Hugo Parente Lima escreveu:

> It worked! :-) Thanks!

	You are welcome.

> There's a way to tell hald to not ignore new driver partitions?
>
> Because write a XML file to be able to mount a external HD isn't much user
> friendly, hehe, or this is the default hald behaviour and you guys from
> solid can't do nothing to fix it?

	This is the default hald behaviour. We cannot do anything about it
because as far as I know there is no hald programming interface to edit .fdi
files. There is the hal-set-property command line program but by the time you
execute it the "one disk has just appearred" event will already have been
processed. Anyway, hald is deprecated, it is going to vanish in the future
when we finish the Solid transition to udisk and upower. KDE is the only big
desktop/program/etc that still uses hal extensively.

> For example.. if I plug another e-SATA HD on my computer, from a friend,
> whatever, I'll need to write another XML file...  : -/

	Ok, I did some more research and I think I have found a solution for you.
Change the <match>...</match> line to this one:

<match key="linux.sysfs_path"
contains="/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.2/host4/">

	Change the /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.2/host4/ to match your e-
sata's controller. Use "find /sys/devices -name sdb" to find which host your
e-sata controllers is using. Now it will treat every disk attached to e-sata
controller as removable. The problem is that the Linux kernel treats "e-sata
disks" as non-removable. The attribute /sys/class/block/sdb/removable is 0 for
my disk, it should be 1. Maybe it is a kernel bug, I do not know.

--
Lamarque V. Souza
http://www.geographicguide.com/brazil.htm