[Kde-hardware-devel] Re: Help needed: Make libsolid 4.6 running without HAL

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Tue Nov 9 12:55:35 CET 2010

On Tuesday 9 November 2010 12:30:52 Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 09, 2010 01:44:57 am Rafael Fernández López wrote:
> > Tomorrow I am going to spend (for the first time on the UDev backend)
> > some hours on it (> 5), so I really expect to have something more than
> > what we have right now.
>
> Guys, great work in embracing new and improved technology. I'm a bit of a
> stick-in-the-mud though, so might I suggest changing the thread title to
>
> 	Make libsolid 4.6 run with udev when available, falling back to HAL
>
> There's plenty of places where udev just isn't an option but HAL is well-
> entrenched (e.g. BSD, Solaris, probably MacOSX) and I'm afraid (er ..
> vaguely worried) that you're going to end up with leaving them broken down
> and abandoned.

Don't worry, there's already the necessary bits in place for that. ;-)
I'm just undecided regarding if we wan't this switch to be made at runtime
using an env var, or at build time. Since you've the best overview of those
platforms what would you prefer? (Right now I've the env var solution
implemented locally).

Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net