[Kde-hardware-devel] Review Request: Adds Mobile Broadband info to plasma applet (depends on ModemManager patch)

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Fri May 21 14:21:51 CEST 2010

On Fri May 21 2010 07:42:26 Lamarque Vieira Souza wrote:
>         I did a test yesterday and Plasma::Label is capable of rendering a
> html- like language used by Qt, that suffices to create the detail window.
> We could use only one Plasma::Label and add/remove its contents as needed.
> Updating the contents can make the screen flicker, is Plasma::WebView
> better in this regard? I would like to update only the needed parts, some
> parts (MAC, type, driver, etc) probably will not change, but others like
> signal quality can change anytime.

I think it's limited to pretty basic rich text, we'd need table support. But
you're right, let's try to use the (much lighter) Plasma::Label (it's backed
by QLabel), and see if that is enough.

Are you sure about the flickering, btw? All this stuff is double-buffered, and
I don't remember seeing the flickering  you're talking about for years,
especially not when just updating a couple of labels. If you can hand me some
example code you see the flickering in, that'd be great so I can look into it
(and learn what to avoid ;-)).

About the "only update what changes", think differently: If we split this
stuff up, we're updating a number of widget (guess: 6-ish), by combining it
(as I said), we get away with updating only one widget. Really, the more
critical part here is to not occupy too much memory for something that is only
viewed occasionally.

Thanks for thinking about it, though, and you input. :)

Cheers,
--
sebas