[Kde-hardware-devel] HUPnP and libsolid Licenses - Would be it a problem?

Tuomo Penttinen tp at herqq.org
Fri May 21 10:09:03 CEST 2010

Hello all,

small side note first: I got the later messages in this thread, but as my
response is solely about the original question you asked, I'm replying
directly to this.

On Thu, May 20, 2010 10:46 pm, Paulo Rômulo wrote:

> Since HUPnP is distributed under a GPLv3 license and libsolid (and Qt/KDE
> as well) is LGPL, this license "incompatibility" wouldn't be a problem for
> us? I'm not a license expert, but AFAIK, if a given library made under
> LGPL uses another library distributed under GPL this makes the first (in
> our case Solid library) to become GPL, right? Assuming that it's not a
> desired consequence, could Tuomo change HUPnP license to LGPL?

My original plan was to change the HUPnP license to LGPLv3 with the first
stable release if nothing comes up. However, I'll probably make the switch
with one of the upcoming betas, since personally I don't have much against
that and several people have contacted me already asking this same thing.

Regards,

Tuomo