[Kde-hardware-devel] [GSoC] Preliminary UPnP support proposal

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Tue Mar 30 15:34:40 CEST 2010

Hi,

Mardi, le 30 mars 2010, à 14:01, Armijn Hemel a écrit:
> There is also the fact that you might want to send received device
> announcements to many programs at once, especially in a multiseat
> desktop. I am not sure how well that can be done with Qt and slots, to
> have one system wide daemon running and sending signals to multiple
> programs of multiple users at once.

If it's just about the discovery there is/should not be a problem, because we
are going to do this with a daemon in an own process which translates this to
D-Bus calls (e.g. Coherence) which can be happily broadcasted and handled.

> Another thing that you are currently overlooking is eventing (HTTP
> callbacks and all that). I must admit, this is hardly ever used, but it
> adds a lot of complexity if you want to make a complete UPnP
> implementation. One option would be to ignore eventing completely ;-)

The callback stuff for eventing might be a different problem (I guess for
perfect support we should do that). Either all code has to share a port and
thus has to handle all incoming messages, or each process takes a different
port which needs interaction with the firewall. Or a central daemon cares for
that and operates as a proxy, forwarding events to registered processes via D-
Bus. Might ideally be included into the SSDP cache daemon. I expect this the
best solution.

> Now, some completely (not entirely unrelated) unrelated things.
>
> In real life I have encountered only a few profiles. Internet Gateway
> Device is of course still a very important one. Right now there are a
> few client implementations in KDE. From the top of my head, I think some
> work was done in Kopete and Ktorrent, but both implementations were
> quite barebones.

KTorrent and Konversation (copied sources), but not yet Kopete, last time I
had a look.
I have had already started to see how these could be ported to Solid. With
Nikhil's hint to do lowercase names for the actions in the D-Bus calls to
Coherence it might give it a second try soon.

> MediaServer and MediaPlayer are quite common these days.

You meant MediaRenderer, right?

Cheers
Friedrich
--