[Kde-hardware-devel] [GSoC] Preliminary UPnP support proposal

todd rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 16:24:27 CET 2010

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 10:56 AM, Bart Cerneels <bart.cerneels at kde.org> wrote:
> Since mediaserver is by far the most used UPnP "filesystem like"
> service I propose we use upnp:// for mediaserver. Other (future) upnp
> kio-slaves can use something like upnp-dsc://, etc. Since the
> kio-slave feature is already hard enough to discover, we shouldn't
> make guessing the protocol part any harder.

This may be a terrible idea, but what about having individual upnp kio
slaves for each protocol, say upn-media://, then a generic upnp kio
slave with folders for each of the different upnp kio slaves
available.  This would be similar to the "remote" kio slave, which
then contains folders (or at least objects that act like folder)
pointing to the individual network kio slaves available, or the
"audiocd" kio slave, which has the various audio file formats you can
rip to organized into folders for each file format.  So say you have
the upnp mediaserver support in the upnp-media:// kio slave, within
the upnp:// kio slave you would have a "mediaserver" folder which when
clicked opens the upnp-media:// kio slave.  Similar folders would
exist for each kio slave.

-Todd