[Kde-hardware-devel] [GSoC] Preliminary UPnP support proposal

Nikhil Marathe nsm.nikhil at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 10:33:28 CET 2010

Thanks for the feedback everybody!

@Friedrich

I will be investigating the existing infrastructure this Weekend,
though I've already had a glance at it.

As for the UPnP spec, I think that Solid should export a generic UPnP
device system, and perhaps we can have special handlers for some
common types like Lighting control. I have the spec downloaded, and it
just requires reading :D That apart, for the moment I think only the
MediaServer part makes sense, since that is pretty widespread and
something relevant to everybody. It is also the only type for which a
kio-slave and Amarok integration makes sense, so I will concentrate on
that.

For the protocol prefix, well I think upnp:/ makes more sense because
we are 'browsing UPnP devices'. Then for certain device types, we can
have upnp-<type> slaves.

I have thought of sticking to the HTTP url for items whenever
possible, as we already have a very good slave for it. Again, on the
weekend I'll figure out other supported protocols**.

@Bart and Friedrich

That is a good point about different kinds of files available. Perhaps
it could be done that Solid allows querying the device about the
various file types available for a given resource, and the kio-slave
sticks to the default. That way advanced apps can always use Solid.