[Kde-hardware-devel] API Stability of upower

Dario Freddi drf54321 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 20:11:28 CET 2010

On Friday 19 March 2010 19:50:53 Michael Biebl wrote:
> 2010/3/19 Dario Freddi <drf54321 at gmail.com>:
> >>
> >> Nope, no big changes are planned. We might tweak here and there, or
> >> add a few methods, but I'm mostly happy with what we've got now.
> >
> > Ok, thanks. I'll start giving it a shot then.
>
> I think what should be mentioned though is, that new projects should
> use the new libupower-glib library and not libdevkit-power-gobject.
>
> The latter is mostly there, so existing apps keep working until they
> are ported over to libupower-glib.
>
> Or are you planning to only use the D-Bus API?

(Preamble: I already read through the API docs)

I am definitely planning to use DBus. After all, it looks to me like
everything needed is in the DBus interface(s) and there are not non-standard
types around (btw, good job in that), so there's not a big advantage in using
the glib library over dbus - which is definitely how things should be.

The only thing I actually dislike is the Changed() signal, which makes no
mention of which property was actually changed, forcing me to analyze the
whole DBus interface to find out what changed. If the glib library addressed
this issue providing a changed signal that would also list what got changed
(a-la-hal, just to make it clearer), I could consider it.

Of course, the best solution would be having this kind of signal into the DBus
interface :)

--

Dario Freddi
KDE Developer