[Kde-hardware-devel] cagibi questions

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Sat Jul 31 17:05:46 CEST 2010

Hi Jonathan,

Jeudi, le 29 juillet 2010, à 15:00, Jonathan Riddell a écrit:
> I'm packaging cagibi for Kubuntu

Fine, thanks.

> I had to make this change to
> cagibi/daemon/org.kde.Cagibi.service.cmake else the service file
> points to /usr/cagibid which isn't right
>
> -Exec=@CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX@/cagibid
> +Exec=@CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX@/bin/cagibid

Ouch. How did that slip me? Seems my test environment needs to be cleaned up.
Will use Kevin's proposal to fix this, thanks.

> Can I recommend making a homepage for Cagibi?  Just an entry on
> kde-apps.org would be sufficient. An FTP server gives little context.

Good idea. Will try to add something to kde-apps.org tonight and update the
lsm. Also need to add an entry to bugs.kde.org.

> Poking the dbus interface in qdbusviewer I get "Unable to find method
> allDevices on path /org/kde/Cagibi in interface org.kde.Cagibi" is
> that right?

Perhaps introspection is not yet completely supported, as all D-Bus support is
hand-crafted. Need perhaps to add a macro to the adaptor class. Will consider.
Could also be a bug in qdbusviewer.

> After installing I browsed to network:/ in dolphin but it doesn't show
> anything, uPNP is turned on in my router but I don't know enough about
> uPNP to know if anything should be appearing in network:/.  What
> should I look out for?

You need to restart kded, because the kded-module used by the network:/ kio-
slave only tries to connect to the cagibi daemon on start. It doesn't detect
that cagibi service got installed.
Also does not yet try to reconnect if cagibid disappears (well, should not
disappear :), never crashed, for me).

Any idea how one can detect that a D-Bus service is installed which only gets
activated trough the D-Bus call and the service file? Does D-Bus also signal
a new available service, started on demand?

> When I have cagibi installed I find that plasma-desktop freezes after
> a few minutes.  This makes no sense to be but it stops happening when
> I uninstall cagibi.  Am I imagining this problem?

No idea how this can be related. In theory Cagibi is just a standalone qt-only
daemon program, accessed via D-Bus from the kded module networkwatcher. This
module is queried by the network: kio-slave. No idea how plasma-desktop could
be frozen by that. Could just be that networkwatcher freezes kded if talking
to cagibid, and this freezes plasma-desktop. But I have never seen
networkwatcher to freeze.
Can you try to query kded by qdbus on the commandline when plasma-desktop is
frozen?

Will tarball and start the release of 0.1.1 around sunday noon.

Thanks for the feedback
Friedrich
--
KDE Okteta - a simple hex editor - http://utils.kde.org/projects/okteta