[Kde-hardware-devel] Testing backends

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Tue Jul 27 17:31:49 CEST 2010

On Monday 26 July 2010 22:24:42 Michael Zanetti wrote:
> what is the best way
to test solid backends?

If we're talking about unit tests, there's no good
way of doing it unfortunately since you'd need to simulate the subsystem you
query... Not easy to have something reusable across backends.

> I have
reached a point where solid-hardware isn't enough any more for
> testing my
implementations. For example it seems there is now way to test
> functions
like DeviceManager::deviceFromQuery()

"solid-hardware query 'predicate'
['parentUdi']" isn't good enough for you?
For a full list of supported
commands: solid-hardware --commands

> or Device::description() using solid-
hardware.

This feature was actually missing from solid-hardware until
r1155547 that I just committed in trunk.

> Is there another tool I'm not
aware of for deeper interaction with a
> backend?

Nope. For the events
though (deviceAdded/deviceRemoved), solid-hardware is not practical, so
using branches/work/~ervin/solidhardwarebrowser would help. Note that
solidhardwarebrowser would need a lifting though.

Kévin
Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net

KDAB - proud patron of KDE,
http://www.kdab.com