[Kde-hardware-devel] KDE/kdelibs/solid/solid

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Thu Feb 25 02:44:42 CET 2010

Hi co-metalworkers,

as you could read in Kevin's notes from the Solid BoF at Tokamak two days ago
he planned to split up the architecture of Solid to allow for multiple
backends. Timeframe was estimated to be somewhen after 4.5... seems yesterday
he came back from the future and dropped a copy of that code into the current
trunk. Being the one to do the UPnP backend* because of the experience by my
network:/ kio-slave I had no choice to follow him and start to do my share the
last hours, too. Without any future travels, sadly. But first success.

* cmp. right side of http://ervin.ipsquad.net/share/solid_multibackend.jpg

Jeudi, le 25 février 2010, à 02:02, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau a écrit:
> SVN commit 1095786 by kossebau:
>
> added: new Solid backend for UPnP devices like MediaServers and Gateways
>  (initial code dump, prealpha, but should be crashfree)
>
> First additional backend, now that Kevin made it already possible,
> beating the Bluetooth metalworkers :) (Kevin knows how to motivate).
>
> Reuses the UPnP controlpoint code from the network:/ kio-slave
> (duplicating the code for now, will be resolved later)

So the code is now in trunk and compiled and run by default. The UPnP backend
currently uses the Coherence** server via D-Bus, so that is just a runtime
dependency and will fail silently if no Coherence server with a compatible
version or at all can be started/reached. Other backends should be possible.

** http://coherence-project.org/

The code used for wrapping the UPnP stuff is bascially result of the second
Coherence/KDE sprint last autumn and only a few weeks ago got silently dropped
by me into trunk for the use with the network:/ kio-slave from
kdebase/runtime. There you should now also see any UPnP devices in your local
network popping up. For now they simply forward to the presentation url if
available (the address of the web interface for the device).

What we need now is someone to help Bart to complete the kio-slave*** to
access the content of UPnP MediaServer devices, as he is busy with other
stuff.

And then some people who designs nice interfaces (as in Solid API) for the
control of UPnP InternetGateway devices (like for NAT traversal) and, as far
as useful, for that of MediaServers. For all other kind of device types this
might also be nice to have, but these two seem to be the most important.

*** http://commonideas.blogspot.com/2009/10/kioupnp.html

> needs Coherence v0.6.5 at least (with D-Bus service file, some packages
>  miss this, e.g. the default OpenSUSE one)

For OpenSuse 11.2 pick the Coherence package "python-coherence" from
obs://build.opensuse.org/GNOME (use software.opensuse.org), this works for me.

Those too lazy to try the bleeding edge see the attached screenshot of a local
UPnP MediaServer showing up in the solidhardwarebrowser (HAL data missing due
to not yet ported model/view code inside the program).

Cheers
Friedrich
--
KDE Okteta - a simple hex editor - http://utils.kde.org/projects/okteta