[Kde-hardware-devel] bluetooth in kde

Will Stephenson wstephenson at kde.org
Mon Feb 22 12:14:18 CET 2010

On Monday 22 February 2010 09:51:59 Alex Fiestas wrote:
> On Monday 22 February 2010 08:41:44 Ozan Çağlayan wrote:
> > Alex Fiestas wrote On 14-09-2009 11:29:
> > > I'll try to work on the kio as soon as we've the other basic stuff
> > > supported, for example pairing of audio/modems.
> >
> > Hi Alex,
> >
> > Is there any work in progress for the kioslave stuff?
> >
> > I'd like to look at it if nobody is currently working on it.
> >
> > Thanks,
>
> Yes, We hope to have it "kind of finished" for this week, today I'll send a
> few emails to this mailist explaining the current status of bluetooth.

FYI we had a meeting here at Tokamak (off-topic but most of the relevant
people happened to be there) about refactoring around libsolid.   Sebas is
going to give a more detailed summary here but I know you'll be working on
solid/bluetooth soon so I am letting you know first.

The basic principle is to make libsolid more flexible, and make
libsolidcontrol less flexible.

Libsolid: make it able to support multiple backends at the same time.  So
whereas now libsolid supports one backend at a time, eg hal, and other backend
technologies eg bluez and networkmanager live in their own Solid namespaces,
this would incorporate each backend's Devices as branches in one tree.

This helps with the move from hal to udev+udisks+upower, since these are each
independent interfaces and are subject to change.  It also adds the ability to
make eg UPNP devices available via Solid.

Libsolidcontrol: currently has a frontend/backend abstraction like in
libsolid.  We propose to move the functionality of libsolidcontrol into the
single management apps that use it, removing the cost of maintaining
frontend/backend.  We can do this because there is no binary compatibility
guarantee in kdebase.

So what does this mean from bluetooth?   The namespace will be Solid, and when
Kevin publishes his draft of the new multi-backend libsolid there will be
interfaces for it to add devices to the Solid device lists.   AFAIK the logic
will remain the same.

Will