[Kde-hardware-devel] kde's power management configuration

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Sun Feb 21 21:40:33 CET 2010

On Sunday 21 February 2010 15:58:34 Gregor Galwas wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 10:22:50 +0100, Dario Freddi <drf54321 at gmail.com>
> > I don't actually feel like implementing such a feature, because it would
> > increase the complexity for the average user: it's the first time I
> > actually
> > hear such a request and I fear implementing it would just add another
> > configuration option about which many and many users will complain about
>
> Honestly I disagree with you about that, but since it would be your time
> and work on that feature, I accept your decision.
> Thank you.

Actually, it's not only his time, but might lead to misconfiguration which might lead
to security problems. People forgetting to set it to lock for one, but not for the
other (and then, weeks later suspend to disk while they used to suspend to RAM --
it's easy to confuse those two, I guess most users are not able to tell the
difference) and the machine is not locked while it should be.

Security settings have to be as simple as possible, otherwise they're not effective.
For that reason, I'd prefer to not make it an option, too.
--
sebas