[Kde-hardware-devel] Custom Shutdown Options

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Aug 26 12:35:36 CEST 2010

Hoi Boyd,

On Tuesday, August 24, 2010 09:55:42 pm Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>   (Reposted from kde and debian-kde after 2 weeks without a reply...)
> (Reposted from kde-linux after a few days without a reply...)

Don't fret, you seem to have found someone who knows what you're talking about
-- or pretends to.

I'm CC:ing hardware-devel, KDE's list for hardware-related development (nomen
est omen).

> Suspend to Disk works fine on my laptop.  Suspend to RAM works great on my
> laptop.  However, I prefer to get the best of both worlds most of the time
> and  use Suspend to Both.
>
> I can do this manually with a (sudo s2both) in a konsole window.  Then,
> resume  usually comes from RAM, unless my laptop has depleted the battery,
> and then resume comes from disk.

Pretty cool feature, indeed. I've been using something similar when I was more
involved with the Suspend2 project. I suppose openSUSE ships this?

> What is the best way to integrate the "Suspend to Both" option into my KDE
> environment?  I'd like to choose it from the "Leave..." menu, as will as
> using  it as an action in the power management settings.

From a UI point of view, it probably makes most sense to replace the suspend
option with it, as it's still essentially s3 (but with an extra safety net). I
don't think another option in the UI there really makes sense, one shutdown
and three modes of suspend sound like overkill in my books.

In order to integrate it nicely (if you don't just want to replace HAL's
suspend method), you'd have to add it to HAL (*1), to Solid and then make it
available in the UIs (shutdown dialog, kickoff, battery widget).

*1 In HAL you'll likely not get it easily upstreamed, but as KDE doesn't use
upower yet (but planning to), HAL is you current best guess.

> Debian is my distribution of choice.  I run a mixed system which is mostly
> Lenny, but of course all the KDE packages come from Squeeze or
> unstable.  I'm  certainly willing to pull additional packages from
> Squeeze, unstable, or even experimental if they can help with this task.

I'm afraid just pulling packages won't help you much. You'll have to get your
coding hands dirty.

> Please CC me on replies; I am not subscribed to kde-devel.

Cheers,
--
sebas