[Kde-hardware-devel] More discussion on the UPnP decision

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Mon Apr 26 11:37:12 CEST 2010

Hi Leandro,

thanks for your introduction.

Vendredi, le 16 avril 2010, à 06:49, Leandro Melo de Sales a écrit:
> Hello guys, I'm very glad to get to all of you in this e-mail, finally!
>   I'm sending this e-mail because I'd like to discuss more about the use of
> the UPnP stack in the KDE projects. As some of you already know, me, as the
> BRisa Project Manager and a group of some developers are implementing a
> UPnP stack in Qt  called BRisa UPnP Framework. I have recently found the
> project HUPnP at the same time you guys were talking about this in this
> list but unfortunatelly I was very busy with other stuff. We are
> developing the BRisa project in partnership with Nokia Institute of
> Technology [1] and the Federal University of Campina Grande at the
> Embedded Systems and Pervasive Laboratory [2], both in Brazil, with a goal
> of make a powerful
> implementation of a UPnP stack in Qt.
>   We started the implementation in the middle of the last year after some
> discussion with Kate Alhola (Nokia/Maemo project manager) in the ELC
> (Embedded Linux Conferece) 2009. Recently we have released the first, but a
> complete version, of a UPnP stack, which is available at [3] and it was
> based on our mature python version of a UPnP stack. In fact, we have being
> working with UPnP stuff since 2005 and many issues with the UPnP specs has
> being studies etc. Now, after a great efforts from many developers, we have
> the complete stack available in Qt with a strong goal of providing a native
> UPnP stack implementation in three main programming languages: Qt, Python
> and Java, but with a unique programming language API.
>   I'm glad to say that we are currently supporting not only windows, linux
> and mac, but also maemo platform and with the targets for MeeGo Platform (a
> new mobile platform built as the result of a merging of maemo platform,
> from nokia, and moblin, from Intel).

Impressive. So your complete stack is running on all of these platforms, or
does it reuse things already available?

What is the relation to GUPnP/Rygel/..., which seems to be part of the
current/next maemo platform? Is there cooperation or rivaling?

>   This is why I'm writting to all of you, unfortunatelly only now. I'm
> currently at the Embedded Linux Conference 2010, where I gave a talk about
> our project, but most importantly, also in the Linux Collaboration Summit
> (the conference merged in one they), I had opportunity to talk to some guys
> from Nokia and Qt Framework to work in collaboration with them in this
> initiative to make a unique and powerful UPnP stack in Qt.
>    It is in this moment where I'd like a little from the attention of all
> of you guys. I'd like  to discuss the possibility of integrate Qt-BRisa
> and HUPnP in just one project where we can collaborate and make a decent
> UPnP implementation.

If you could join forces that might be great.

> I have being also talking to Bart about the
> possibility of integrating Qt-BRisa in the KIO and also, as a
> representative of the research field (as the university) too, we have
> being working on some improvements of the UPnP specifications, mainly in
> the area of security issues, such as authentication and authorization
> mechanism. In this field, we have recently publish an article that talked
> about a possible solution on this and as a result we have gained the best
> paper award of the conference.

Would be nice to have you as such an experienced player in the construction of
a good UPnP support in the KDE platform.

Cheers
Friedrich
--
KDE Okteta - a simple hex editor - http://utils.kde.org/projects/okteta