[Kde-hardware-devel] Solid UPnP GSoC idea

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Thu Apr 8 23:42:14 CEST 2010

Hello,

On Wednesday 7 April 2010 20:25:19 Paulo Rômulo wrote:
> After reading your messages I have written my early proposal for this idea
> and before submit it at the GSoC website, I would listen some feedback from
> you.
>
> You can find it here: http://docs.google.com/View?id=d785g6k_11gpccrpdx

In short: I think that some more work is required for this proposal.

And really sorry about this opinion as we're definitely cutting it very short
to the deadline so you don't have much time to research on the different
topics.

Now some more details:
 - I think you can safely add the data-gathering application to the GSoC
proposal itself as I think a couple of points are overestimated.
 - "InternetGatewayDevice wrapper module" comes directly from Friedrich mail
without further details. What do you have in mind there? In fact I think it
could simply be one new frontend class in libsolid and would then mostly be
part of the Solid UPnP backend work. Once you got the backend rolling it
should be fairly trivial.
 - I think that the Plasma Device Notifier is overestimated in the timeline...
 - ... while the Network Neighborhood Plasmoid is likely underestimated.
 - Overall, more details on each of the tasks would be welcome. It'd show that
you indeed know what work is required.
 - For the details regarding solid itself, hunt me down to get details. But
apart from those missing details, a mockup for the Network Neighborhood
Plasmoid would be very welcome.

I'll be around on IRC tomorrow (from 6am to 5pm UTC) if you have more
questions about solid itself (and I bet you do have such questions).

Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net