[Kde-hardware-devel] UPnP support on OS X/Windows

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Thu Apr 8 18:37:59 CEST 2010

Hi Armijn and all,

once upon a time you gave principal UPnP support in the KDE platform that more
and more famous draft:
http://www.mail-archive.com/kde-hardware-devel@kde.org/msg00358.html

With Cagibi*, the SSDP cache/proxy daemon I'm hacking on,  there is now
something like that broker you envisioned in that draft arising, D-Bus
interface developed in an agile style.
HUPnP might serve as the base for the UPnP profile specific client
libraries/modules, like the MediaServer kio-slave.
No real idea about the eventing yet.

But with kdelibs trying multi-platform I wonder:
Can you tell how UPnP support on Windows and OS X is done? Both UI wise and
API wise? Is this part of the platform or offered by a favourite add-on? How
would we connect to that?

UI:
I heard UPnP devices are listed in the Windows Explorer. On click it opens a
browser pointing to the presentation url. Is this only done with the root
device, or also for all embedded ones (which can have presentation urls, too)?

API:
?

* First release of Cagibi is in the door, see separate email.

Cheers
Friedrich
--
KDE Okteta - a simple hex editor - http://utils.kde.org/projects/okteta