[Kde-hardware-devel] Solid UPnP GSoC idea

Nikhil Marathe nsm.nikhil at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 04:24:57 CEST 2010

2010/4/7 Kevin Ottens <ervin at kde.org>:
> On Tuesday 6 April 2010 13:46:02 Bart Cerneels wrote:
>> The recent discussion here and on melange have shown that UPnP is a
>> very interesting, but also a very large topic for a single GSoC
>> student.
>> Since GSoC is intended for learning and contributor integration rather
>> then burning people out, I decided to make a new GSoC proposal.
>>
>> http://community.kde.org/GSoC/2010/Ideas#Project:_Network_Device_Detection_
>> .26_Desktop_Integration_for_UPnP
>
> I've been thinking about that as well, I didn't go for it though as I
> seriously doubt it'd keep someone busy for three months. Hence why I proposed
> a couple more small and simple targets for Nikhil proposal (which I wouldn't
> have done if it had a risk of having him burning out).

I have no problems with doing the task, but after Bart mentioned that
I was overloading myself, I looked at my proposal and it did seem so
:) I would be happy to add those features later.

>> This proposal focuses on the Solid detection side
>
> Which is already half there thanks to Friedrich work (if we stick to
> Coherence). It would need to be redone for a HUPnP based one though.

I would really like Friedrich's opinion on the framework since he has
some work done already and I wouldn't like to drop all that unless
there are technical merits to do so. The reason I am sticking to HUPnP
while experimenting is that it provides a much more Qt like API rather
than interpreting DBus output. There are of course certain edge cases
and special devices which might be handled better in Coherence, since
they have been actively working on this. It is stated explicitly on
their homepage about support for devices which don't comply completely
to the spec, but I haven't looked at their code so much except for the
D-BUS part.

>> and also various
>> smaller integrations into KDE SC. Examples I can think of:
>> - Plasma device notifier extended to list UPnP mediaserver shares.
>
> Trivial to do really, it's about tweaking a desktop file and at worst
> modifying a couple of lines of code.

So Solid is the only key point to get Plasma to work? Interesting.
I'll try doing a local branch of Solid and messing it up, once the
proposal deadline is past. But I don't know how successful I'll be
right now.

Regards,
Nikhil