[Kde-hardware-devel] Of UPnP and GSoC and integration

Bart Cerneels bart.cerneels at kde.org
Tue Apr 6 11:53:21 CEST 2010

2010/3/30 Kevin Ottens <ervin at kde.org>:
> On Tuesday 30 March 2010 10:55:06 Bart Cerneels wrote:
>> Having only that info would make it useless for our purpose. The UPnP
>> slave needs to know
>> 1) it's a UPnP media server (version is irrelevant since it's
>> backwards compatible)
>> 2) the Unique Device Number (a uuid) or IP address, preferably that is
>> native to device model and IP version independent.
>>
>> And if you want to launch a browser from, lets say a hypothetical
>> plasma "Network Device Notifier" you need to know it's UPnP to launch
>> kfm upnp://<uuid>
>
> Well, actually StorageAccess is providing a (badly named) filePath() method
> for which we return the "mountpoint" of the storage device.

Exactly what we needed.

> The way I see it, we'd forge the right upnp:// URL which would encode all the
> information needed for the ioslave itself. Actually the nice side effect is
> that you wouldn't need to do any discoverability (ok, I'm kind of ignoring the
> uuid to IP/port mapping here) at all in the ioslave as that would be covered
> by libsolid.

You are correct. We can get the UDN from the device description which
we can just fetch since we already have the IP. The version with UDN
is the real and persistent URL, since UDN is supposed to be permanent
across device reboots and network reconnects.

>> StorageAccess is on a different abstraction level: based on this it's
>> listed in NDM.
>
> NDM?

Network Device Notifier (sorry, typo), a specialized plasma
device-notifier only showing network devices (and not having
frustrating popups all the time ;) ). This could just as well be new
feature for plasma-device-notifier (but always have the option to turn
of the popup, m'kay!).