[Kde-hardware-devel] Standarize umount notifications

Alex Fiestas alex at eyeos.org
Tue Sep 29 22:09:04 CEST 2009

Hi
First of all, maybe this is not the right mailist to address all the
discussion about this topic, but imho is the perfect mailist to start a talk
about how to fix the situation, so keep reading !

There are 2 related issues:
1-When the tearDown action fails, each application have his own way of notify
it. Dolphin add the solid message on his status bar, while device-notifier
shows a "plasma messagebox" with a more user-understandable message.
Ex: dolphin shows: org.hal.massiveStorage.busy... and device-notifier shows:
The device is currently being used by blabalblabla
2-When the device has been unmounted successfully, again each application have
his own notification system, but this time the issue is worst because even for
an advanced user like me, is difficult to know when I can unplug my pendrive
without worry about losing data (the flush is over).

After look at the different affected code (mainly kfileplacesmodel, dolphin,
device-notifier), I'm sure that this is not the way to follow, and we've to
centralize and standardize these notifications.

So, if everybody here agrees on that, the technical question is, where we
should centralize it?
I saw soliduiserver but I'm not sure even if it is currently working (I don't
remember see any hardware dialog since I'm using kde 4.3).

What do you think? suggestions?

--
Alex Fiestas
Blog: http://www.afiestas.org