[Kde-hardware-devel] Data format for RemoteControl events

Michael Zanetti michael_zanetti at gmx.net
Mon Sep 14 10:45:05 CEST 2009

On Saturday 12 September 2009 21:40:57 Christopher Blauvelt wrote:
> Your caution in creating an enum for every imaginable button is warranted.
>  I can't imagine what LIRC would need over 600 defined buttons for on a
> remote control.  If you're going to go that way your idea of creating a
> limited subset of those buttons and having a catch-all (Invalid) to go back
> to string checking would definitely work.

Yeah... I think I will go for the limited subset then...

> I would change Invalid to be
> Unknown to keep with the Solid naming convention.

Exactly what I thought after sending the mail :)

> Another idea would be to make use of the predicates.  This way relevant
> buttons could be checked for as predicates which would be much faster than
> string matching.  I'm not sure of the technical issues with doing that, I'm
> just brainstorming.

Had a look at this one... I daubt this problem can be solved using predicates
as there is no defined sequence of button-names.

> Also keep in mind that any API you choose should be able to be used on
>  other OS's so while it will be natural to mirror LIRC pretty closely, that
>  might not be a good API for a backend on other systems.

Yes, I always keep this in mind. That's way I'd like to stay compatible to
backends not using namespaces and I'm re-defining the buttons in solid instead
of just passing them from lirc to the app.

> Don't take it as a lack of interest that nobody had answered you.  Kevin
> typically takes weeks to answer emails :)

My experience with Kevin's RTT is exactly the opposite. But I guess I was just
lucky then :)

However, thanks for you input. It helps very much to hear others opinions.

Cheers,
Michael