[Kde-hardware-devel] Kbluetooth present, future and integration

Alex Fiestas alex at eyeos.org
Wed Sep 2 08:20:07 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 01 September 2009 19:59:44 Kevin Ottens wrote:
> On Tuesday 1 September 2009 23:19:30 Alex Fiestas wrote:
> > First of all, I'm so sorry if this email is not correct, I tried to reach
> > tpatzig who is the current maintainer of kbluetooth before doing
> > anything, but I had no success :/
>
> Didn't get news from him in a while now. For the record kde-hardware-devel
>  is the list where we try to deal with this kind of things. Luckily I'm
>  still on kde-devel. :-)
Ups sorry, I'll move this email/discussion to that list.

> > I'm starting to work on kbluetooth, adding small features which make the
> > application more usable, and when doing it I wondered what kbluetooth
> > lacks to be integrated in KDE (right now, we don't have any kind of
> > bluetooth support). So I'm writing this email to: inform everybody what
> > is the current situation, decide what would be the best way to integrate
> > kbluetooth and of course to build the feature list together.
> >
> > Current situation highlight:
> > -kbluetooth is living in playground, and afaik is unmaintained.
>
> You probably want to also take a look at the bluetooth related classes and
> backend in kdebase/workspace/solid. playground/network/kbluetooth4 depends
>  on those and they were also maintained by tpatzig (so yes they're lacking
>  some love at the moment).
I already did, and if I'm not wrong, I'll have to expand it at least adding
service-discovering stuff.

> > -kbluetooth application which allow to the user to do everything he wants
> > to do with a couple of clicks.
> > -KDED module to control the kbluetooth4 execution.
> >
> > About dates, have the minimum needed features for kde 4.4 is not a crazy
> > idea, since kbluetooth itself is quite stable as I said before.
>
> Yep, sounds like something doable.
>
> > So, what are your thought about this topic? anything I'm missing?
>
> Note that I'm coordinating for kdebase/workspace/solid, but I'm delegating
> most of the work "per domain" appointing someone to maintain it. The
>  bluetooth parts have no maintainer right now. I hope that you're aware
>  that with this call to arm you just stepped up to be the new maintainer.
>  :-)
>
> Of course I'll provide all the help I can, in particular to find your way
>  in the architecture, and how we generally do stuff in the Solid land. :-)
>  I can't really deal with the bluetooth specifics or test as I've no
>  bluetooth device...
>
> Welcome aboard!
> And you probably want to hang on #solid (I see you're already there), and
> subscribe to kde-hardware-devel now. ;-)
>
> Regards.

Ok so, if it is ok for everybody I'm going to merge all my changes in to the
playground version of kbluetooth, so everybody can start to test the new
commits easily. I'll update the TODO file too.

Thanks for the welcome, this will be funny!

--
Alex Fiestas
Blog: http://www.afiestas.org
Jabber: afiestaso at gmail.com