[Kde-hardware-devel] Standarize umount notifications

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Wed Oct 7 15:21:40 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 06 October 2009 22:31:10 Alex Fiestas wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 October 2009 17:56:38 Kevin Ottens wrote:
> > Sure it is nice to notify the user that "Now you can remove your external
> > storage". That said, it's not a spontaneous event, but something
> > triggered by the user, that's why I'd prefer to keep that in the context
> > of the application where the user triggered the operation. In this regard
> > what is done in Dolphin seems just fine to me. Not disruptive but the
> > information is given close to where the user triggered the teardown.

I came to appreciate the checkmark in the device notifier a lot, it would actually
make sense to show this indicator always when a device has been unmounted.

> Oook! if it's a design decision I'm ok with it, but there is at least one
> situation with the tearDown action which is not covered by the "local
> notifications", which happens when the user removes the external device
>  without  unmount it. Imho we should warn it in some way because with some
>  FS like ext4 the possibility of losing data is high.

Yes, ext4 is a lot faster, but it's also more fragile, so this case becomes more
important over time. Warning is too late then, though. I'm not sure how useful a "You
just did something incredibly stupid, but oh well, too late :P" is to the user. Might
prevent from doing that a second time, though.

--
sebas