[Kde-hardware-devel] possibly port solid

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sun Nov 29 13:45:41 CET 2009

On Saturday, 2009-11-28, Vikram Dhillon wrote:
> My apologies for being ambiguous, I want to do some driver development
> (making my own drivers) so I was thinking if I could use Solid to build
> drivers in Ubuntu or may be as user space drivers as I am dual booting
> Ubuntu and Kubuntu :)

Ah.
In this case you'll have to find something else to work with. Solid is on a
layer in the software software stack that is above drivers. It gathers
information from kernel and system level APIs and presents them to the
application developer in a uniform way across systems.

It might be useful for user space device management though.
(e.g. listing USB devices, but the low level communication will have to be
implemented elsewhere).

Cheers,
Kevin