[Kde-hardware-devel] Merging new Solid Actions control module and existing control module

Ben Cooksley sourtooth at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 08:14:03 CET 2009

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 10:30 PM, Will Stephenson <wstephenson at kde.org> wrote:
> [...]
>> > There are currently two control modules for Solid: one for choosing
>> > backends, and one for managing actions. At the end of the review of
>> > the managing actions module it was suggested that I start a discussion
>> > about how to merge these two modules, since they belong together.
>>
>> Agreed.
>>
>> > Currently I propose creating a new category and placing both modules
>> > under it, so the user can find all the solid configuration under one
>> > item in system settings.
>> > Before I do this however I would like to know:
>> > A) Should both modules be merged at the code level?
>>
>> At first, I thought it would work better to merge them as one module, not
>> two modules under a category. Reason for that was simply that the current
>> "Hardware" module just exposes the selectors for the solid backends. Which
>> in my opinion is something most user don't do, and then could be in an
>> advanced section of another module like the actions one...
>>
>> But, looking closer at systemsettings, it happens that we also have the
>> Network Management and Power Management modules. So it wouldn't make "one
>> single module" anyway.
>>
>> I'm surprised we still don't have a bluetooth one though.
>>
>> So I'd say the best solution would be the following:
>>  1) Add the Hardware category, put the actions, power and network modules
>> under it;
>>  2) Move the current Hardware module in this same category and rename it as
>> something like "Platform Backends" or something equally non user-friendly
>> (it'd probably be temporary anyway, see below).
>>
>> > B) Are there any problems currently with the existing backend
>> > selector, which would be corrected by the above?
>>
>> Yes, currently its layout plain sucks IMO! It's really too tall which makes
>> it hard to read IMO. But once we have all the hardware related modules
>> under the Hardware category, it might be a good idea to just kill it and
>> put the three selectors under their own module (in a specific page? an
>> advanced dialog? a tab? whatever but it has to be consistent in all
>> modules).
>>
>> So the network backend selector would go into the Network Management
>> module, power management backend selector into the Power Management module.
>> The only problem I foresee is where to put the bluetooth backend selector
>> as I see no corresponding module in my installation.
>>
>> Comments from the people responsible for the Power Management and Network
>> Management modules are welcome. If anyone has some clues about a Bluetooth
>> module, please let me know.
>
> I feel that

>  System
>    Hardware
>      Network Management
>      Power Management
>      Bluetooth
>      Platform Backends
>
> reproduces the implementation structure too closely
>
> These modules could be presented more usably separately, in existing

Definitely agree here. I will begin work on a new Platform backends
control module, creating a new display widget to configure the
platform specific backends in the process so that this functionality
can be moved to the appropriate modules at a later point in time.

I will send more details about the implementation ( since it will need
to shared between the various different control modules ) once I have
looked into how the Solid backends are configured.