[Kde-hardware-devel] Merging new Solid Actions control

Dario Freddi drf54321 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 19:17:51 CET 2009

On Wednesday 25 March 2009 12:01:34 kde-hardware-devel-request at kde.org wrote:
> Yes, currently its layout plain sucks IMO! It's really too tall which makes
> it hard to read IMO. But once we have all the hardware related modules
> under the Hardware category, it might be a good idea to just kill it and
> put the three selectors under their own module (in a specific page? an
> advanced dialog? a tab? whatever but it has to be consistent in all
> modules).
>
> So the network backend selector would go into the Network Management
> module, power management backend selector into the Power Management module.
> The only problem I foresee is where to put the bluetooth backend selector
> as I see no corresponding module in my installation.

I agree with Will and his proposal:

>Basic
>  Network & Connectivity
>    Network Connections
>    Bluetooth
>  Computer Administration
>    Energy Saving
>  System
>    Platform Backends

Adding more. For Platform Backends, I'd merge in Phonon KCM. After all, it
does just the same. We can add Platform backend as a category and throw in
various modules, it's for power users after all. I'd also like to see a choice
for choosing between hybrid & standard suspend in this new module, to make
everyone happy.

I think this solution could be a  great improvement.

> Comments from the people responsible for the Power Management and Network
> Management modules are welcome. If anyone has some clues about a Bluetooth
> module, please let me know.

The only thing that more or less manages bluetooth in kde4 is kdebluetooth. It
seems to work, though my crappy bluetooth key never played cool with linux, so
I really can't tell.

The GUI is confusing, since it relies on a system tray, and the device manager
and the configuration interfaces could be surely moved to a kcmodule. Ah,
obviously kdebluetooth uses Solid.

I think we should contact those guys, refactor the configurations GUI into a
kcmodule, and include kdebluetooth in main kde modules. Having it in could be
a great plus. After all, it should rely on solid only.

--

Dario Freddi
KDE Developer
GPG Key Signature: 511A9A3B