[Kde-hardware-devel] Making Solid give a visible name for products

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Wed Jul 8 01:57:28 CEST 2009

On Friday 17 April 2009 20:02:26 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > Well, looks like you're treating a symptom and not the cause in this
> > case, isn't it?
>
> Not really, my main issue is non translatability (i'm the i18n maintainer
> you know),

I rest my case.

> for example another problem is
>
>   vendor = ''  (string)
>   product = 'PC Floppy Drive'  (string)
>
> that should obviously be shown translated, that with my patch does not (and
> with your vendor + product does not)

This one is definitely troublesome. Would be good to translate it, I guess
it'll require special casing it... not pretty but will do the job.

I've been pondering asking you to hijack product() instead of introducing a
new method. But after all it's probably a bad idea as the behavior change
could prove to be a problem.

Please rename "visibleName()" to "description()" though (and the same for the
backend methods which have a similar name). After that feel free to commit.

Thanks for taking care of this one and for the patience as this patch is quite
old now. :-)

Ne font reculer l'ignorance."