[Kde-hardware-devel] RFID/Zigbee in KDE?

Bart Cerneels bart.cerneels at kde.org
Thu Jan 15 09:50:58 CET 2009

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 12:22 AM, Armijn Hemel <armijn at uulug.nl> wrote:
> hiya,
>
> after reading the bluetooth discussion I was wondering if support for
> other short range communications protocols (zigbee, rfid, z-wave) is
> planned.
>
> I'm not sure how it would actually look like, with something like 10000
> tags near a desktop (think: big warehouse or on board a ship with a
> massive amount of left tennis shoes). It might be worth giving a thought
> or two :-)
>
> armijn

The "warehouse style" tags (or at least their use case) doesn't make
much sense for the average desktop user. But perhaps something like
this: http://www.tikitag.com/ does.

In any case I would only support protocols that are established
standards and have library support on the 3 major platforms.

We should chat about this at FOSDEM.
Bart