[Kde-hardware-devel] Bluetooth, anybody?

Bart Cerneels bart.cerneels at kde.org
Tue Jan 13 16:54:20 CET 2009

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 4:46 PM, Tom Patzig <tpatzig at suse.de> wrote:
> Guillaume Pothier wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 9:54 AM, Bart Cerneels <bart.cerneels at kde.org> wrote:
>>
>>> To get the device enumerations you mean? OpenObex will enumerate USB
>>> devices for you or allow you to use BT addresses or IP-addresses (for
>>> obex over IP). IrDA doesn't need addressing since it's line-of-sight.
>>>

>> Solid already does the enumeration (through bluez). As Solid is KDE's
>> interface to the hardware, I thought we also need to go through Solid
>> for OBEX; is it not the case?
>>

> For the kioslave we just need to use the obex-data-server
> (http://wiki.muiline.com/obex-data-server) which was a GSoC Project from
> the bluez developers.
> obex-data-server is already used in kdebluetooth4 to receive and send
> files to remote devices, and works like a charm. Its a high level dbus
> API for openOBEX.
> It provides a session interface, where easy methods like 'browse remote
> files' and many more are perfect to use them within the kioslave module.
> I've already written a C++/Qt wrapper for the ObexSession(Send Files)
> and Arjan Topolovec has written a wrapper for the
> ObexServerSession(Receive Files), this is ready to be used for the
> kioslave (the obexsession wrapper  http://tinyurl.com/7krev5 ).

This is excellent! Yes, a DBUS service that is shared with GNOME is preferable.
I just wonder if it's cross platform, or intents to be.

> Solid is just the extra layer to provide easy access to diffrent
> hardware backends. Obex is nothing hardware relevant, so we do not need
> to encapsulate that via solid.
It also offers information about devices. In that sense it's within
it's scope to inform apps about supported obex services. I don't know
where one would draw the line.

> We also do not use plain openObex, this we already did in KDE3 and
> kdebluetooth3 times. The way we need to go is dbus and therefore just
> have to use the wonderfull obex-data-server.
>
> Tom

Thanks for the tip Tom.