[Kde-hardware-devel] Solid::Control not finding local loopback

David Hubner hubnerd at ntlworld.com
Tue Dec 22 20:29:08 CET 2009

On 22/12/2009 18:34, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> On Tuesday 22 December 2009 19:06:12 David Hubner wrote:
>
>>> That's not a usecase. :-)
>>>
>>> I'm also wary of adding it, since I don't see real value for it, and it
>>> might cause regressions (think of the lo interface being shown in UIs it
>>> previously wasn't). Lacking a use-case for it and given the risk of
>>> regressions, we can better leave it out in my opinion.
>>>

>> Yer, I cannot think of a usecase for it..
>>
>> To be truthful I brought it up for selfish reasons :) I am getting all
>> the networkInterface devices from Solid::Devices::listFromType and
>> checking if they are active and if so displaying info. Having lo in
>> Solid::Control::* would have made my life easier. Now I have to make a
>> design decision, check for "lo" and add static data or get rid of "lo"
>> by using Solid::Control::NetworkManager::networkInterfaces();
>>
> What are you using it for? (That might be the use case you were looking for ...)

Solid Device Viewer, its in playground, its for KInfoCenter. I am
redoing most of its KCM's over Christmas as it looks like it needs work.
I shall be moving it into kdereview after 4.4 is released. If you look
at SolDeviceTypes.cpp under the SolNetworkDevice::* you should see what
I am looking at doing :)