[Kde-hardware-devel] Solid::Control not finding local loopback

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Tue Dec 22 14:06:03 CET 2009

On Monday 21 December 2009 22:21:45 David Hubner wrote:
> On 21/12/2009 12:11, Will Stephenson wrote:
> > On Friday 18 December 2009 00:55:39 David Hubner wrote:
> >
> >> Is this because networkmanager does not provide information on the
> >> loopback device though the dbus interface?
> >
> > That's correct - AFAIK it was never interesting to me the networkmanager
> > folks because our main networking priority is getting laptop users on the
> > internet.
> >
> >> I can provide a patch for this problem, i am just wondering what the
> >> situation on the subject is? :)
> >
> > What's the use case for adding it?  I can see the completeness angle, but
> > I don't want us to add code without good reason, that would make the
> > NetworkManager backend (for example) a hybrid of NM's view of the world
> > and the kernel's, requiring filtering to avoid confusing NM with
> > synthetic loopback device unique identifiers.
>
> Its just a case of a consistent API and checking to see if the local
> loopback is active, to allow the local loopback to be a device of the
> type Solid::DeviceInterface::NetworkInterface but not providing any
> information on the "device" in Solid::Control::* could cause problems
> with people getting the udi from the base libs and using that in
> Solid::Control. I am not sure if HAL will work without local loopback (
> other backends might work without local loopback )  but checking to see
> if the local lookback is active/present would also be helpful. It would
> probably be possible to check for "lo" in NetworkInterface devices,
> therefore being valid, but it seems a slight work around.

That's not a usecase. :-)

I'm also wary of adding it, since I don't see real value for it, and it might cause
regressions (think of the lo interface being shown in UIs it previously wasn't).
Lacking a use-case for it and given the risk of regressions, we can better leave it
out in my opinion.
--
sebas