[Kde-hardware-devel] Battery Applet fails to detect battery - possible issue with Solid correctly detecting the battery...

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Sat Aug 29 12:34:00 CEST 2009

On Friday 28 August 2009 19:22:20 you wrote:
> At some point in the recent past, it was detecting my battery, and I was
> running KDE 4.2 or 4.3 at the time. So, I expect the BIOS to be ok.

Well, yes and no, on my laptop for a while I had quite a few ACPI issues
depending on the kernel *minor* version. Basically they need to work around my
particular BIOS issue, and as a workaround it's fragile and kept breaking from
time to time.

Now I think they're mostly done with the big operations in the ACPI layers of
the kernel, so hopefully it'll keep working for me.

> However, you indicate maybe HAL, ACPI/Kernel as possible other culprits.
>
> Based on the output below, any suggestions?

Yeah, you see the same behavior in HAL than in libsolid there. So we can't
find the battery if the underlying software is also lying to us. So definitely
HAL or ACPI support in the Kernel are the ones you should turn to for a
solution. Most likely the kernel BTW, you've to investigate there but you
probably have a similar issue in the info reported by sysfs or proc I guess.

Ne font reculer l'ignorance."