[Kde-hardware-devel] Three device actions with the same name, and one of them being broken

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Fri Aug 28 17:13:32 CEST 2009

On Sunday 23 August 2009 12:01:11 Ben Cooksley wrote:
> On my trunk system I have found that we have three device files:
>
> solid_camera.desktop
> solid_audiocd.desktop
> test-predicate-openinwindow.desktop
>
> And all have the same icon ( that of Dolphin's ) and the same name
> "Open In File Manager"

Which is OK since they are mutually exclusive, so only one of those is
displayed to the user for a given device.

> This has caused understandable confusion with users of the Device
> Actions KCM module.

I see only two possibilities here:
 1) Working around the problem by changing the label of those actions to make
them more explicit, like "Open Audio CD in File Manager"... but I honestly
don't like it much, it's "just" a workaround after all;
 2) Find a way to provide more information in the Device Actions KCM Module.
Like for instance hinting at which devices the actions are supposed to apply.
This could be extracted from the predicate I guess?

> In addition, the file solid_camera.desktop contains an invalid predicate.

Which predicate is it? I guess it comes from kdegraphics and I don't have it.
The one shipped by Digikam (which opens with digikam) seems right, so maybe
this one could be borrowed.

Ne font reculer l'ignorance."