[Kde-hardware-devel] Battery Applet fails to detect battery - possible issue with Solid correctly detecting the battery...

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Fri Aug 28 15:27:27 CEST 2009

On Thursday 27 August 2009 17:47:38 Roderick B. Greening wrote:
> When I first boot up, with or without my AC adapter plugged in, the Battery
> plasma applet (power management) does not detect I have a Battery. If I
> remove or plug in the power it will trigger Solid to update and then it
> picks up the following UDI:
>
> udi = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer_power_supply_battery_BAT1'
>
> This only gets picked up if I trigger a state change (i.e. add or remove
> the AC adapter). If I do not do this, then the battery remains undetected.

From the description I'd say it's a problem on HAL's end, and possibly even
some BIOS playing funny. Just to be sure could you make the same test using
lshal as well? in the "noshow" case
/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer_power_supply_battery_BAT1 shouldn't
appear there either. If that's what happens then it's completely out of
libsolid's hand and should be reported to HAL (although I'd also suspect some
ACPI brokeness, which means problem in the linux kernel or your bios).

Hope that helps.

Ne font reculer l'ignorance."