[Kde-hardware-devel] inhibit suspend

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Oct 2 15:27:28 CEST 2008

Hi Dario,

I've played with the inhibit suspend feature last night. In fact, I've already
implemented it in the battery applet. I think the implementation is wrong,
though. The suspend should *only* be prevented when powerdevil's idle timer
times out, i.e. inhibit only affects the suspend to save power, the machine
going into suspend automatically after some minutes. In fact, the suspend on
critical battery level should always ignore the inhibit. See it more like
preventing an extreme screensaver from kicking in.

Invoking suspend 'by hand' still has to just work. In fact, if I click the
suspend button in kickoff or the battery applet, the machine should release
its cookies and just suspend, not prevent it -- that would annoy a lot of
users.

There also seems to be a bug somewhere. When powerdevil is running, I don't
seem to be able to suspend at all, I get the message "it's inhibited". The
user should always just override this setting.

I'll seek to commit the inhibit feature to the battery later today.

Cheers,
--
sebas