[Kde-hardware-devel] How to determine what drive an Optical Disc is in

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Thu Jan 31 14:33:51 CET 2008

Le jeudi 31 janvier 2008, Chris Gow a écrit :
> It could be both. I've been looking up info on techbase (the solid
> tutorials) and on api.kde.org. I know I'm having a hard time figuring out
> what a Device can be converted to. Especially when there isn't a direct
> inheritance hierarchy. In my case, I want to read info from various CDs,
> the closest solid class is OpticalDisc, so I read up on OpticalDisc,
> StorageVolume and the Drive classes. But I don't realize that I just have
> to 'cast' the device to some other class.
>
> Perhaps whats missing is a tutorial that demonstrates converting a device
> to multiple capabilities? And/Or providing an API that lists the
> Capabilities that a Device has?

OK, I put at least the tutorial on my TODO. I'll evaluate the "listing the
capabilities that a Device has" for later (you rarely want to list them, you
just need to verify a device has the capability you're interested in).

Thanks a lot for the feedback there.

Oh, and if you want to try writing a tuto yourself based on your experience
that's welcome too. The fact that it's on my TODO doesn't mean that I'll
reach the item soon. ;-)

Ne font reculer l'ignorance."